McConaghy Boats in conjunction with Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ) are presenting options for the Hydrogen Chase Zero to meet the Protocol for the 37th America’s Cup.
Hydrogen powered performance.
The 13m Chase Zero boat has been styled for VIPs of the AC37 with a luxurious interior cabin for high-speed transfers, race spectating and race support. With high-speed performance (50 knots), and exceptional visibility, it will serve as an incredible spectating platform.
The interior can be customized to meet client needs or match race boat aesthetics, and is equipped with a head compartment, fridge, and sink, as well as air conditioning for climate control.
The Chase Zero boat currently has seating for 8 in custom-built carbon race seats.
Developed by Emirates Team New Zealand and using Toyota fuel cells, this foiling chase boat has achieved speeds of over 50 knots during trials, and delivers comfortable, eco-friendly cruising at an impressive 30 to 35 knots.
Constructed in full carbon, Nomex and structural foam, the 13m boat has a weight of 5,600kg, a draft of 2.2 metres, and a 4.5-metre beam.
The two Toyota Hydrogen fuel cells are housed within each hull and deliver 80kW’s of power each. The powertrain cooling system is via a seawater pick-up located at the front of each foil-strut torpedo, with two pick-up pumps per hull. The port and starboard main foils are connected via a central wing foil spar and the single rudder features an elevator with adjustable rudder rake.
The power is harnessed with fly-by-wire joystick controls in the main console, alongside the navigational equipment, VHF, AIS, and system monitoring displays.
To date, Chase ZERO’s top speed is 50.3 knots. This was achieved on Day 9, 29 April.
The boat takes off and fully foils at 19 knots.
Whilst travelling at 25 knots boat speed, Chase ZERO is able to perform banked turns with a radius of 48 m.
Experience with Chase ZERO has shown that an operating speed of 30-35 knots is highly efficient for hydrogen use as well as comfortable for the crew.
NAVAL ARCHITECT: ETNZ
CONSTRUCTION: Carbon/Nomex/Structural Foam
- Toyota hydrogen fuel cells 80kW x 2 (1 per hull)
Electric motors: 2 x 220kW (1 per hull mounted above foil struts)
- Tanks: 4 x 8.4kg hydrogen gas @ 350bar (2 tanks per hull)
- Batteries: 2 x 42kW (1 per hull)
- Seawater pickup located at front of each foil strut torpedo
- Main cooling circuit pickup pumps x 2 (1 per hull) : Gianneschi 230/400 0.55KW
- Driveshaft housed inside of each foil strut
- Driveshaft bevel gearbox located in foil strut torpedo
- Mercury Bravo 1 propellers mounted at aft end of foil strut torpedo
SIMRAD NAVIGATION PACKAGE :
- 2 x Simrad NSO EVO 3 16” MFD
- 1 x Simrad RS40 B VHF with AIS RX/TX
- 1 x AIS/VHF Antenna and AIS GPS
- 1 x GPS and heading Sensor GS25
- 1 x Simrad OP50 control Simrad Card Reader
- Port and starboard T-foils with torpedo at intersection with foil wings
- Foil wings:
- Central spar connecting port and starboard struts
- Central flaps: x 2 hinged off central spar
- Outboard spars: x 1 outboard of port strut and 1 out board of starboard strut
- Outboard flaps: x 1 port and 1 x starboard, hinged off outboard spars
- Single rudder and elevator with adjustable rake
AUTOPILOT FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM
- Fly by wire joystick steering
- 8 x Recaro seats
- Air conditioning
- Carpet sole
- Fabric hull & headliner
- Two colours exterior
- Interior LED lighting
- Chemical toilet
- Lightweight 15L fridge
- Sink and vanity cabinet
- Joystick control
- Hydrogen electronic display
- Lap seatbelt
- Options of customized items will be quoted on design